Champagne Lanson in Reims was founded in 1760 by Francois Delamotte, a property owner who wanted to start his own Champagne house. Because his son became a chevalier in the Knights of Malta, the house in the late 18th century began using the Maltese cross as the emblem for the label. The red, squared-off cross remains the icon of Champagne Lanson. By the mid-19th century the house was owned by the Lanson family, and it was so admired that Lanson Champagne became the official Champagne to the court of Queen Elizabeth of England. It was also the official Champagne of the principality of Monaco. Today the estate is owned by Boizel Chamnoine Champagne and produces five million bottles a year from grapes sourced throughout Champagne.