Domaine Drouhin-Laroze is a 31-acre estate in Gevrey-Chambertin, Burgundy. It was founded in the mid-19th century by Jean-Baptiste Laroze and is today run by Philippe Drouhin, who is a descendant. (There is only a very distant family tie with the famous Drouhin negociant family.) The domaine owns Grand Cru parcels in Bonnes-Mares, Chambertin, Clos de Beze, Clos de Vougeot, Latricieres-Chambertin, Chapelle-Chambertin, Musigny and Gevrey-Chambertin. There are also Premier Cru parcels. Robert M. Parker Jr. has noted that the estate’s 3 acres in Clos Vougeot "are extraordinary."
Clos de Vougeot is a walled vineyard that dominates the tiny commune of Vougeot in Burgundy’s Nuits-St.-Georges. The 124-acre Grand Cru vineyard includes a historic chateau that in 1945 was purchased by the Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin, an organization devoted to promoting the traditions of Burgundy and its wines. The impressive chateau is the organization’s headquarters. Clos de Vougeot was established as a vineyard by Cistercian monks in the 12th century, then sold off to private owners after the French Revolution. The vineyard is unusual for a Grand Cru in that it includes land that runs down to the main road. The soil is light limestone with sand. Principal landowners are Chateau de la Tour, with 13 acres; Meo-Camuzet, 7.5 acres; Rebourseau, 5.5 acres; Louis Jadot, 5.3 acres; and Leroy, 5 acres.
This red wine is relatively light and can pair with a wide variety of foods. The grape prefers cooler climates and the wine is most often associated with Burgundy, Champagne and the U.S. west coast. Regional differences make it nearly as fickle as it is flexible.