School House Vineyard takes its name from a 19th century, one-room school house on the Gantner family’s property on Spring Mountain. Though it was no longer in use as a school house, the building existed until the 1980s when it was lost in a fire. The Gantner family today makes extremely limited quantities of estate wines from their un-irrigated vineyard, located at 1,500 feet on the Spring Mountain. John Gantner’s father bought the property in 1940 and started tending the vineyards, some of which were planted in 1890. By 1957 the family was making wine. Today Gantner, his wife Nancy Walker and daughter Florence Gantner Zink run the operation, producing Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and blends of Zinfandel and Syrah.